Literacy – Who Sank The Boat?

This week our during our Literacy Block we examined  the concept of things which either sink or float.  This followed from Reading Pamela Allen’s  wonderful story “Who sank the boat?”  It focused around around five animals of various shapes and sizes cramming into a boat which eventually sunk.

Image result for who sank the boat

{ see https://vimeo.com/39503900}

As a follow up from this story we decided to test a range of objects within the classroom by placing them in a tub half filled with water and predicting if they would sink or float – here are our findings:

Water bottle There were were a range of predictions but it seemed most thought it would sink  because it was big and heavy and so it did when placed vertically over tub.

When placed horizontally  – it floated!!    Amazing!

Why? –  One thought was ‘It may be full of air- another” It might be lighter lying it long ways –

Scissors – All predicted they would sink and yes they did, like a stone and all agreed it was because they had metal in them.

Pencil 50/50 either way – We found the pencils floated easily.

Ruler All thought it would float and it did. Why? because it was long and made of wood and wood floats.

Our next stage will be to examine packaging that ends up as rubbish on our streets and into our waterways and what that means for our environment.

Great fun and learning.

4 thoughts on “Literacy – Who Sank The Boat?”

1. This is one of my favourite stories and I enjoyed listening to it in class. You are all such clever cookies to find items that float or sink.
    I look forward to working with you all again.
    Simone Clements

2. What a fun experiment!! Well done kids for guessing which objects would float or sink and more importantly why? Can’t wait for the next Science experiment!

3. Hello,I loved that book when I was in the juniors and love how you found the perfect book to fit in with you learning .it is the perfect book to read and I would love to see more from your class I learnt so much.
    From Sophie

4. hi junior c , I learnt about that too when I was in the juniors and I learnt a lot. you have tort me so much and keep posting